Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Movie theatre etiquette

I went to see a movie last night.  Not just any movie though - The Hunger Games!  I just finished reading the trilogy and my girlfriend, Ashley, just finished the first book.


First, let me say, I thought the movie was really, really great.  I loved Katniss' (she's so beautiful!).


The scenes of Panem were great and the Capitol fashion was pretty fun.  Effie was my favourite, I can't wait to see more of her.


We saw the 4:45pm movie, right after work, in a small theatre.  It was perfect because we were playing ball hockey together later that evening.  Since we came from work we had a couple bags with our ball hockey gear, along with some sandwiches Ashley picked up from our favourite German deli for dinner.  There were about 12 people in the whole theatre.  We had taken our shoes off, settled ourselves in nicely, we made ourselves comfortable.

The lights dimmed and the previews began as we got more and more excited to meet the characters we had fallen in love with in the book.  

Then, all of a sudden, a couple strolls in, walks down our row and the guy sits right beside me.  Like RIGHT beside me.

I looked over at Ashley and we sort of gave each other quizzical looks.  

What could I do?  

My personal bubble isn't very big, and I definitely expect to be close to people when I go to a movie theatre.  But when there are a hundred seats to choose from and someone sits RIGHT beside me (during The Hunger Games, when I have my shoes off and legs crossed, ball hockey gear on the ground beside me, and I'm enjoying my German deli sandwich with my best friend Ashley) I'm a little annoyed!

It all turned out to be fine in the end.  The guy ate his pop corn pretty quietly and leaned towards his friend on the other side of him.  Plus the movie was so captivating, I hardly noticed he was there.

But what do you think?  Strange behaviour?  Isn't there some type of movie theatre etiquette where this is totally unacceptable?

6 comments:

  1. That happened to Mark and I at the Hunger Games last week! Tuesday night and I guess most people had seen the movie already or something because the theatre was practically a ghost town. But just like your experience, just as the movie was about to start, a couple strolls in and the guy sits right next to me. The only difference was he kept elbowing me slightly and his legs were definitely in my bubble. Super annoying!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really, Jenn!? What is with people? I would never do that. Thank goodness my guy wasn't as annoying as your's...

      Did you love the movie? Have you read all the books?

      Delete
  2. I think I would have had to say something or I would have moved over a spot. Except maybe him and his friend thought "Two girls? Score!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I probably would have had to move over if my situation has been like Jenn's. What would you have said???

      He was with a girl (it looked like his partner!!!) Very strange...

      Delete
  3. well, you and Ashley definately had THE best seats in the house so they settled for the second best......lol......I DON'T KNOW......I think I would have moved if I weren't giving up awesome seats. I have a bubble problem at the theaters. That's the only place though. I guess because the seats are SOOOO close, and who gets the arm rest anyway? I'm glad you enjoyed the movie in spite of it all. I have dibs on Ashley's first book! Can't wait to read it and be in the "IN" crowd. EVERYONE has read it and I haven't heard anything bad about it. They all love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sue, the arm rest is always a problem, eh!?!? You will definitely enjoy the book (and movie). Can't wait for you to read it!

    ReplyDelete