Saturday, March 24, 2012

My first DIY complete!

I've completed my very first diy as part of the Pinterest Challenge!


After living with the dry erase board for a couple days, I am happy with my project choice because I think it will actually be very useful!

So far we have been using our new board to organize our weekly activities.  We hung it on the wall in the kitchen where our calendar used to be (the calendar has now moved to the fridge), so it is very visible.  It's also right near our entrance which also makes sense in my mind.



This project ended up costing me zero dollars - holla!  

I was able to use a picture frame that was collecting dust in my closet and I decided to use wrapping paper that I had on hand instead of looking for another backing.  I will admit this was partially due to laziness/cheapness and aside from the fact that it is super girlie, I actually really love the print!  







I'm lucky that Derek is so easy going/unobservant because to tell you the truth he didn't even notice our new little organizing board until I pointed it out, and doesn't seem to mind another feminine touch to our home.

In addition to being free, this project was also the easiest thing on the planet.  I just cut the wrapping paper to fit inside the frame and presto!

Seeing the wrapping paper inside the frame also got me to thinking about how this type of project would make amazing art.  There are so many great wrapping papers out there, so I think you could find a print that would work for any room in your home.

Here are some inspiration photos I love:





The great thing about framed wrapping paper is that you can cut it to any size to fit your frame and you can spend as much or as little as you like.  

Another idea: How cute would it be to save some scraps of wrapping from a baby or bridal shower, or child's birthday party, then frame them as a collage?  I might try this with my girlfriend's bridal shower coming up this summer.

I know one thing is certain -the next time I receive a wrapped gift I will definitely be looking at the paper differently to see if it's frame worthy!

PS - I just finished the last book of The Hunger Games trilogy.  Tears were streaming down my face as I read the last page.  You too?  I heard the movie was great too!  Can't wait to see it!

1 comment: