Thursday, September 27, 2012

Autumn inspiration

Fall has arrived!  That glorious season that catches me by surprise every year, and then leaves (pun intended) much too quickly.

I love fall for many reasons.  Fall fashion for starters, is awesome.  Boots, scarves, sweaters, tweed, leather and rich colours.  I always have a craving to shop for new clothing this time of year.  

The weather is also the bomb.  That perfect feeling when the air is crisp, but not enough to see your breath, and the sun is still warm on your face.  It makes for the ideal afternoon patio weather to sit an enjoy a pint of beer or a pumpkin spiced lattée.

And speaking of PSLs, I have yet to enjoy one this year.  I usually indulge in only one, and it has to be the most perfect setting.  A perfect fall afternoon (hopefully it's the weekend), ideally with my bff out for a day of shopping in the market, and it helps if I'm wearing a cute fall outfit to complete the experience.

As a lover of décor blogs, I have been enjoying seeing how everyone has been infusing fall into their homes.  There is nothing more charming than a front door seasonally decorated to greet guests, or a lovely mantel re-done in fall colours.  

Here are some of my favourites....

Kate, from Centsational Girl, hits the mark every time, and didn't miss when sprucing up her mantel for the season.  See, it's as easy as clipping a few stems to bring the beauty inside.

autumn mantel and framed marbled paper

My girl, Sherry, from Young House Love has also displayed some fall foliage to give her dining tablet that fall feeling.


I love the idea of decorating with dried, pressed leaves.  I remember hunting for the perfect maple leaf to press and save when I was a kid - so much fun.  Apartment Therapy shares some ideas and the easy steps to doing it yourself.  My favourite is the leaf garland.  

Pressed-leaf-decor_rect540

Better Homes and Gardens reminds us that fall decorating can be as easy as filling up a bowl full of apples!

Go For Green

If you prefer to streamline your fall décor with the rest of your home, take Suzie Harris' cue by spray painting faux (or real) gourds and pumpkins to match your colour scheme!  Très chic.


Stay trendy and take some inspiration from Pantone's Fashion Colour Report for fall 2012 when adding a new throw blanket or accent pillow to your home.


Loving this pillow from etsy.

Fall Pillow Rustic Decor Autumn Fall Cotton Throw Pillow Cover Decorative Accent

And these pretty throws by West Elm.

Westelm_sunsetthrow_rect540


Now lets head outdoors...

Last year Ryan and Laura from Smith & Ratliff featured some fun seasonal front steps from their West Village neighbourhood in Manhattan.  I'm so jealous.

Pumpkins on a West Village Stoop

Halloween Pumpkins and decorations in the west village

I love the DIY yarn wreath trend that's been popping up.  Living in a condo doesn't allow for that charming front step decor, so I may have to give this a go.  Tonya from Love of Family shows us how nice it can look and includes a tutorial too.


So, have you begun your fall decorating yet?  So far, I’ve only been inspired, and have yet to actually DO anything.  However with the month of October (and Thanksgiving!) quickly approaching I’m determined to make the first fall in our new condo a beautiful one, and I’m happy too, that I’ve come across a few free ideas!

My goal is to share a post next weekend showing you all my hard work, and also how our amazing view is changing colours!

Happy autumn everyone!

1 comment:

  1. goal is to share a post next weekend showing you all my hard work, and also how our amazing view is changing colours!

    ReplyDelete