Monday, April 30, 2012

Engagement shoot styling

The countdown is on to our engagement photos this Saturday.  How exciting!  Probably more so for me, especially since I told Derek he must try to limit the sodium in his diet this week so he doesn't look "puffy".

His response..."Definitely - we don't want no puff daddy in our pics." 

A detail you may not have known about my fiancé - sometimes he's gangster.  

Originally, we decided not to do engagement photos.  I didn't really see the point, and we already have quite a few couple photos.  But then our photographers, Steph and Neil from Stem Photography, told us that it is included in our picture package - pretty standard, we now realize - and so we got pumped about it!

If you are considering engagement photos, here are the reasons we decided to go for it:
  • they allow you and your photographer(s) to get to know each other, making your wedding day more comfortable
  • you will be able to practice poses and all the different facial expressions required for your shoot
  • after seeing your photos you will get a better sense of your photographer's style and way of shooting
  • you will see many pictures of yourself from all different angles, helping to remind and motivate yourself to keep doing your lunges or arm/shoulder exercises
  • you get to spend a couple hours with your honey, all dressed up, kissing and whispering sweet nothings to each other, looking cute as buttons!

We have also decided to take advantage of these pictures and use them for our save-the-date postcards.  

More to come on my save-the-date ideas.  For now, here's what I've been thinking about for our outfits...

I would like for us to wear two outfits, which means one wardrobe change, which makes me feel a little high maintenance...but since these are my engagement photos I'm going to take advantage of my bride status and just go with it.

Outfit Number 1

-black dress 
-yellow, black and white peep toes 
-gold necklace

I put this set together through Polyvore, and although none of the pieces are exactly what I'm wearing, it gives you a visual.  Pretty standard "Meaghan look".
  
black and yellow engagement

While I'm wearing my more dressy outfit, I would like to see Derek in 

-charcoal dress pants
-black gingham shirt
-slim fitting black suit jacket

I was thinking of doing a tie, but I can't decide.  I think the more casual unbuttoned look is pretty sexy.  



Outfit Number 2

-blue and green colour block silk T (the one below isn't it, but it's the same idea)
-black dress capris
-tall gray heels (mine are suede and leather, and don't have a platform like the ones below)
-gold accessories 

Engagement shoot

Source


I like the look of gold accents with the blue and green (doesn't the colour combo look great on those earrings?!), so I'm going to do some shopping for fun jewellery this week.  

Or better yet...

**Calling all Ottawa friends - if you would like to lend me any jewellery, that works too!**

I love both of these inspiration looks, so I'm thinking for Derek

-brown leather shoes
-dark jeans
-white or light dress shirt 
-gray blazer 
-maybe or maybe not a tie?
-and glasses!  Derek will definitely need to wear his glasses for a few pics!



Source


I have a few ideas for where we can take pictures, but since I already feel high maintenance with my wardrobe change, I don't want to make my photographers drive all over the city!

Here are my ideas
  • Stanley Park, by the river - one of our favourite parks.  We have enjoyed outdoor theatre and a few good picnics in this park.  It's also one part of our favourite running rout. 
  • Outside our new condo.  I thought it would be really neat to incorporate our new home into our photos.  The area is still somewhat a construction zone, but I think that might look pretty cool.
  • The ARC Lounge.  I would love to have some sexy photos taken at their bar and in the lobby of our wedding venue.
  • Since its prime time for the tulips, we will most likely take advantage of their beautiful colours.



Does anyone have any tips or suggestions when it comes to engagement photos?  

I haven't made any plans for the Friday night before our shoot so that I can do some pampering and ensure I'm well rested.  
I will make sure to bring comfortable shoes that I can easily slip on if we end up walking for miles.
I am also planning on bringing a few props, some specifically for our save-the-date.  I think I'll write another post about that, along with some of my favourite pictures I've come across online.

Oh yes - please help.  Tie or no tie?  And if you have some lovely jewels you would like to toss delicately pass my way, I would love you forever!

No comments:

Post a Comment